This historic church sits on the site of a Roman fort at the delightful village of Cramond by the Firth of Forth. Although the previous organ, a Norman & Beard had provided good service since 1911 it was considered inadequate for a large important building that enjoys a strong musical tradition. The decision was taken to install a high quality digital instrument but this would have to be a worthy replacement for its predecessor and so tonal authenticity and aesthetics, together with variety and flexibility were important considerations. The church authorities required an instrument of exceptional quality as a worthy replacement.
The church is fortunate to have the services of a very fine organist, Ian MacPherson. Ian whilst a lecturer at Napier, produced an extensive report of digital organs installed in Edinburgh churches following which Wyvern Organs were chosen to build the new instrument. This is a large three manual with sixty three speaking stops housed in a traditional drawstop console designed by the organist in consultation with Wyvern.
In 2009 the organ was returned to the factory to be upgraded to current technology. It has now been reinstalled, together with an updated speaker system to suit.